I visited the National Football Museum in Manchester this week for the first time, and was pleased to see that Arthur Kinnaird's achievements are given plenty of recognition.
   There is a short film about his football prowess, using photos from my book (with permission!) but most impressive is this full scale statue of Arthur performing his celebratory handstand after winning the 1882 FA Cup final. Legend has it that he was so pleased at winning his fifth winners' medal with Old Etonians that he stood on his hands, but it is hard to know whether the story is true. Although there are plenty of later accounts it is not mentioned in any of the contemporary reports, as far as I can tell.
   The Museum uses the statue as the foreground to a collage of modern footballers standing on their heads, at the entrance to a gallery of football heroes.
   Visitors can also see the FA Cup which was presented to Arthur in 1911, with its engraved plaque detailing his achievements.

Credit to the Football Association for the good idea of producing a football-themed map of the London Underground, as part of their 150th anniversary celebrations.  With every single station named after a notable player, ranging from the world famous to obsure record setters (Chris Marron and Sean Cato, anyone?), it will liven up the morning commute.
   Arthur Kinnaird is there, of course, although what his relevance is to Latimer Road tube is beyond me. A more appropriate choice might have been the Oval, where he played in nine FA Cup finals (that went to Maik Taylor) or the scene of his philanthropic activities at Charing Cross and Embankment (Ray Wilson and Des Walker respectively). But it would be churlish to complain too much about that, there must have been endless discussions.
   There are not as many Scots as might be expected. The first Scotland captain, Robert Gardner, has a station (rather bizarrely sharing North Greenwich with Curtis Weston) and you can also see Denis Law, Ian St John, Dave Mackay, Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankly, Matt Busby, Frank McLintock, Alan Hansen, John Connelly, Peter Lorimer, Billy Bremner and Ronnie Simpson. I may have missed one or two, but sadly overall there are more Frenchmen than Scots, which doesn't say much for historical perspective over 150 years, more a reflection of the current state of the Premier League.
   Click on this link to download the entire map as a pdf. Or you can apparently buy poster-sized copies from Transport for London.
Two years ago I identified the referee in the 1873 England v Scotland match as Theodore Lloyd [see blog post]. Now, I have found this photo of him with his wife, which turned up in a family history.
   The Lloyd family were important figures in the early days of association football. Theodore and his younger brothers Robert, Henry and Albert were stalwarts of the original Crystal Palace football club, one of the earliest clubs in London and a founding member of the Football Association. Henry and Theodore each attended one of the FA meetings in the autumn of 1863, and Albert played in the inaugural match of January 1864 to show off the newly written Laws of the Game. The brothers played regularly for Crystal Palace through the 1860s. 
   Theodore (1834-1904) was held in such respect that he was asked to referee the first international match in London. A noted philanthropist, he was a member of the Stock Exchange and came from a Quaker family of bankers. When he died he left the massive sum of £287,000 in his will, much of which went to charity as he and his wife had no children.

By a strange quirk, the scorer of Scotland's first ever goal, in the unofficial international of March 1870, is buried at Wembley. Not the stadium, but the parish church, St John the Evangelist, Wembley.
   Robert Erskine Crawford was just a 17-year-old schoolboy at Harrow when he was selected by Arthur Kinnaird and James Kirkpatrick to play for Scotland against England. Although living in London and born in Jersey, he came from a Scottish family background and spent much of his childhood in the Edinburgh area.  Playing as a forward in the match at Kennington Oval, there were just 15 minutes left with no score, when he took advantage of a gaping hole in the English defence (they had moved their goalkeeper into attack) and shot from distance to find the goal. Some English reports churlishly described it as a 'lucky long kick' but no matter, it was a goal, and Scotland led 1-0.  Unfortunately, they couldn't hold out against intense English pressure to secure the win and in the last minute Alfred Baker scored the equaliser.
   Robert Crawford went on to play four times for Scotland in the unofficial five-match series, and his younger brother Fitzgerald did so twice. The family changed its surname to Copland-Crawford after receiving an inheritance, while Robert embarked on a decorated military career with the King's Royal Rifles, serving in the Afghan War and the Sudan campaign. Unfortunately he also became an alcoholic, which brought a swift end to his marriage, and also probably caused the sudden resignation of his commission in 1884.
   What happened next brought him far greater notoriety than his sporting life had ever brought fame. Trying to make a new start, he took up a police command in a remote part of Sierra Leone, then of course part of the British Empire. Within a few months he couldn't contain himself at the political inertia and took unilateral action against local warlords, with over a hundred 'warboys' being killed in one attack under his command. The Colonial Secretary wrote 'it won't do to have subordinates acting independently' but before the story reached a wider audience, Robert was in even greater trouble as one of his servants (suspected of theft) was tortured and beaten to death on his orders. Initially charged with murder, Robert was convicted of manslaughter in a local court but considered too ill to remain in prison and was sent home. There was a lengthy debate about his appalling conduct in the House of Commons the following year, but Robert was already fading and died in 1894 at the family home in Sudbury.
   St John the Evangelist stands in Crawford Avenue, named after the family, who were substantial benefactors of the church in the Victorian era. A stained glass window commemorates Robert's father, and an obelisk in the graveyard marks Robert's final resting place (and that of his footballing brother Fitzgerald, who died the same year). Thousands of football fans will pass by the church on their way to this week's England v Scotland match, little knowing that a man who played a crucial role in getting international football off the ground lies just a few feet away.

For more about Robert Crawford's story, read my book First Elevens, the Birth of International Football, or have a look at Gary Ralston's excellent article in the Daily Record.  Click here for the website of St John the Evangelist, Wembley.

Gravestone of Robert Crawford and his brothers at Wembley
Road sign outside St John's Church at Wembley, named in honour of the Crawford family
St John the Evangelist Church, Wembley
One of the unsung heroes of early association football was commemorated recently by the unveiling of a plaque at his former home in Surrey.  Jarvis Kenrick, whose main claim to fame was scoring the first ever goal in the FA Cup on 11 November, 1871. He was playing for Clapham Rovers against Upton Park, and scored twice in a 3-0 victory. One week after scoring that goal, he was selected to represent England in the fourth of the unofficial internationals against Scotland, a match played at Kennington Oval. 
   Born on 13 November 1852, he was still a teenager while all this happened, and although he never won a full England cap he was still a prominent player for much of the decade. Indeed, he won the FA Cup three times with Wanderers, in 1876, 1877 and 1878, scoring goals in the latter two matches when the Wanderers side included Arthur Kinnaird.
   He was brought up at Cedar House in Caterham, and the plaque was unveiled there by his great grandson, Jarvis Kenrick Browning. Also in attendance were representatives of various sporting bodies with which he was associated, and David Gold, who brought along the original FA Cup (which was presented to Arthur Kinnaird in 1911). There was also a large display of photos and memorabilia which I gather will go to the local history centre.
   In adult life Kenrick was a solicitor based in Bletchingley at Pendell House, a spacious 17th century red brick mansion designed by Inigo Jones, where he and his wife brought up no fewer than nine daughters, supported by two governesses, seven servants and three gardeners. There is already a memorial plaque to him (and his wife) in the parish church there. Kenrick died at East Blatchington on the Sussex coast in January 1949, aged 96, and it is a sobering thought that there are people alive today who would have met him - a living link to the earliest days of football.

 With warm thanks to Ann Lardeur, descendant of WH Bailey, another early footballer, for providing these photos.

I'm grateful to Groundtastic's Vince Taylor for unearthing (and tweeting) this page of pictures from 1910, showing Lord Kinnaird doing the honours to open The Den, Millwall's new ground in east London.
   The pictures were in Lotinga's Weekly, a kind of poor man's Illustrated News, and top right it shows Kinnaird handing the match ball to Wilson, the home team captain, before the match against Brighton. Centre left, having taken his hat off, he formaly declares the ground open.
   Standing at Kinnaird's shoulder is James Buteux Skeggs, a Millwall director who was also an FA Council member and Town Clerk of Poplar. The following year, Skeggs would serve on the organising committee of the dinner at which Kinnaird was presented with the FA Cup.
   For more on Groundtastic, see: www.groundtastic.co.uk or check out the Twitter feed @Groundtastic.

There is a very impressive piece of Old Etonian and Arthur Kinnaird memorabilia coming up for auction. It is this single card programme from the 1882 FA Cup Final, in which Old Etonians beat Blackburn Rovers 1-0 and was the scene of Arthur's famous post-match handstand.
   The programme is being auctioned by Graham Budd at Sotheby's New Bond Street auction rooms in London, on Tuesday, 14 May 2013. You can access the catalogue at www.grahambuddauctions.co.uk but be warned the estimate for this programme, lot 895, is an eye-watering £20-25,000.  When Graham Budd sold the 1889 cup final programme it reached £19,000, thought to be a world record, so this could see a new bar being reached.
   It just goes to show what wonderful things can turn up in scrapbooks, and who knows what else is out there, waiting to be discovered.

POSTSCRIPT: The auction went even better than expected, the winning buyer choosing to stump up a new world record price of over £35,000. Not bad for a piece of paper 'found in a box of papers bought as a job lot at a previous auction'! Full story at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22532857

This unusual postcard was published in Shrewsbury in 1906 to celebrate the victory of Colonel the Rt Hon William Slaney Kenyon-Slaney, Unionist candidate in the general election of January 1906.
   Kenyon-Slaney is perhaps better known as the scorer of the first goal in international football, a feat he managed in the opening minute of the England v Scotland game in March 1873. He scored again in the second half, and rounded off an excellent month by winning the FA Cup with Wanderers. That, however, was pretty much the end of his football activity as his main focus thereafter was on his military career with the Household Brigade.
   A contemporary of Arthur Kinnaird, also born in 1847, he was educated at Eton, where he learned his football. He was MP for Newport in Shropshire from 1886 until his death in 1908, so the election of 1906 was his last.

It is 150 years this month since Arthur Kinnaird won his first football trophy, as his tutor's house, JL Joynes's, won the Eton House Football Cup in the autumn of 1862.  Despite being only 15 and one of the younger boys, he was brought into the team captained by Alfred Lubbock (pictured).  It was an unexpected victory, as Lubbock recalled in his memoirs: "At the outset there was no particular favourite, and the betting would certainly have been 6 to 4 on the field – Marriott’s, Gulliver’s or Stevens’ perhaps the most likely. My tutor’s were not considered to be in it. We first managed to beat Wayte’s, then Gulliver’s and, to our surprise, had to play Stevens’ for the final."
   At that point Lubbock's gift for tactics came into play, and helped his side to an unlikely victory: "I had coached up our eleven beforehand what to do. I gave Tritton strict injunctions, when he saw me running with the ball, to guard behind, and when he had the ball I agreed to do the same. In this way we kept fairly on the safe side, and after a very hard fight we managed to win by 1 rouge to 0. Arthur (now Lord) Kinnaird played for us, but was only a small boy then and in lower division."
   Lubbock's sporting talents had already won one trophy that year, as his batting was the decisive factor in Joynes' winning the House Cricket Cup in July.

I have just obtained a couple of interesting photos from the 1860s, which almost certainly contain some prominent early footballers. The are both of the Eton boarding house run by JL 'Jimmy' Joynes, who looked after Arthur Kinnaird from 1861 to 1865.  One photo is from 1865 but probably taken in the summer or autumn as Arthur is nowhere to be seen - he left the school in April that year. The one shown here is dated 1869, but apart from Joynes himself in the middle, none of the boys can be identified (the Eton College archive don't have a record either). 
   This is a great shame, as among them would be Alexander Bonsor, an FA Cup winner with Wanderers in 1872 and 1873 and also capped twice by England against Scotland, scoring a goal in 1873 and keeping goal in 1875. There are no known photos of AG Bonsor, as it is thought that the family tried to erase all memories of him after he brought shame by a string of affairs and a messy divorce. The newspaper reports of his divorce case in 1896 were the final straw, with accusations from his estranged wife that he used to come home drunk and threw things at her including, on one occasion, a chicken.